how Frick'N cool is this.....

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Sparky
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Sparky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Logicdustbin wrote:and does anyone really think the mod would have been better with the original screen? Really, because this would have been too easy...

they say logic-man even on the PCE forum that the CRT would have been better than the LCD swap, iMac's multisync CRT could do 640x480 natively.... http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6485.0

but i still say… hail to the king baby :P!!!!

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Thats cool and all but all I could think is "man i wish i could get a copy of cannon spike"

Mr. Smashy
stubby
stubby

Postby Mr. Smashy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Sparky wrote:they say logic-man even on the PCE forum that the CRT would have been better than the LCD swap, iMac's multisync CRT could do 640x480 natively.... http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6485.0

I'd say that the LCD is the way to go. The distortion shouldn't be too bad, maybe even unnoticeable if the monitor had a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 (though you might need a 17" LCD for that). Computer CRT displays running at 60 Hz tend to give me a headache pretty quickly and probably should be running at 100 to 120 Hz if it's 15" at 640 x 480.

The iCast is a pretty cool design if not terribly practical for swapping out discs. Nice job!

Darth Dudicle
toonie
toonie

Postby Darth Dudicle » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:07 am

This mod is really well done - great job, Logic. Best of luck with the eBay auction, too!

N-Lightning
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby N-Lightning » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 am

This is fantastic. It does remind me of a Divers:
ImageImage

Mr. Smashy wrote:I'd say that the LCD is the way to go. The distortion shouldn't be too bad, maybe even unnoticeable if the monitor had a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 (though you might need a 17" LCD for that). Computer CRT displays running at 60 Hz tend to give me a headache pretty quickly and probably should be running at 100 to 120 Hz if it's 15" at 640 x 480.

I would agree except that certain games like Bangai-O and Psychic Force 2012 won't work on the LCD, even booting with a DC-X. I'd love to be proven wrong though if you've found a legit way to do it, Logic. :)

tomvill

Postby tomvill » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Logicdustbin wrote:I had the iMac apart for a while now, the idea was to put the DC in with the original CRT, although the monitor did not have a VGA port, I think it was a pre-DVI port (not sure, was not a 'Mac' fanboy when these first came out), any-way, I was just going to make an adapter.

but, I found the 15" monitor in my workshop, I thought it would be a better option.

the video cable from the first gen imac is basically a vga cable with a different pin out, you should be able to get a adapter cheaply on ebay. the port is the same as a game port and i think was called a DB-15, sadly i have no idea of the pin out.

altho if you were to use a second gen imac (like the one i got a carboot (like a yard sale for those on the other side of the pond) sale for £20) opening these are a hell of a lot easier than the original ones and by the look of it are wired through a vga port. they seem to have two power supplies (one for crt then a separate one for the actual computer)

hope this helps

Logicdustbin
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Logicdustbin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:05 pm

tomvill wrote:
Logicdustbin wrote:I had the iMac apart for a while now, the idea was to put the DC in with the original CRT, although the monitor did not have a VGA port, I think it was a pre-DVI port (not sure, was not a 'Mac' fanboy when these first came out), any-way, I was just going to make an adapter.

but, I found the 15" monitor in my workshop, I thought it would be a better option.

the video cable from the first gen imac is basically a vga cable with a different pin out, you should be able to get a adapter cheaply on ebay. the port is the same as a game port and i think was called a DB-15, sadly i have no idea of the pin out.

altho if you were to use a second gen imac (like the one i got a carboot (like a yard sale for those on the other side of the pond) sale for £20) opening these are a hell of a lot easier than the original ones and by the look of it are wired through a vga port. they seem to have two power supplies (one for crt then a separate one for the actual computer)

hope this helps

yep, my other iMac seemed to be much easier ti open. Also found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mac-Monitor-to-G3-G4-G5-PC-Video-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ110241007642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputer_Monitors?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

guess I didn't look hard enough (before I got a hold of the LCD)

still, if I used the original CRT, there would not be enough room to change disks (if I used the same set up)

truecolor

Postby truecolor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 am

simulation credit auto
Thanks so much for sharing

Logicdustbin
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Logicdustbin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 am

carolin wrote:How can I connect a digital camera straight to an LCD monitor? I would like to connect my camera direct to an LCD monitor so that clients in the studio can view the images as I shoot. The monitor I have spare does not have a composite video input, just VGA. Is there some convertor out there that will convert composite video from the camera into VGA that can be displayed on the monitor?

The strangest people bump this thread....

you can hook composite up to VGA, but it will cost about $85 (just google it)

I think it would be better to just transfer your photo's to a 'puter that is hooked up to a monitor?

CongoBongo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CongoBongo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Since when do we allow "guest" accounts to post?

Doc Kaos
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Doc Kaos » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 am

Hmmmm. That is weird. Perhaps the account was deleted now? But was valid when they posted?
Rebaken Enterprises - Video game development

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”