Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

demonseed
loonie
loonie

What happened to this site?

Postby demonseed » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey Guys,
I used to be on here a lot back in the day.. I returned recently and noticed that the forums are rather dead? There used to be lots of postings and lots of things for sale/trade.. now it seems so quiet... has everyone left for a different group?
Video games are like life, a good one never dies.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: What happened to this site?

Postby jasonec » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm

It was pretty much dead when I joined in 2012 - it's had some cool times since then, but not as much as 2004-2009.
Facebook groups are now the centre of activity in this hobby (Ontario Arcade Collectors, Arcade Collectors Worldwide, etc.)
And KLOV is for the weirdos.

But people still occasionally post on here - sometimes it's quite busy too.
And the one benefit of forums is the ease at which you can search for old posts pertaining to something.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:22 pm

I've always thought this forum was quite. The nice thing about it is that topics are easy to keep up with and there's less BS here then a lot of other sites.

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am

I'm relatively new here, but come everyday to see what's up. Do most people that post in the Facebook groups also re-post here? I think I am part of some groups on Facebook but I rarely go on Facebook so I don't see those posts. It would be sweet if when someone was selling something elsewhere, they could re-post here but I understand that's a bit of a hassle.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

CanadianRyGuy wrote:I'm relatively new here, but come everyday to see what's up. Do most people that post in the Facebook groups also re-post here? I think I am part of some groups on Facebook but I rarely go on Facebook so I don't see those posts. It would be sweet if when someone was selling something elsewhere, they could re-post here but I understand that's a bit of a hassle.

Some cross-post on both FB and CGCC (I do), but many don't.
Not a lot of good stuff for sale on FB though - many collectors post their stuff for top dollar/trade, or post Kijiji ads of great deals (which results in a cute ambulance-chaser-fest that ends with "I got it suckas!").

But mostly, the FB group is mainly people showing off their stuff to garnish compliments:

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am

demonseed wrote:Hey Guys,
I used to be on here a lot back in the day.. I returned recently and noticed that the forums are rather dead? There used to be lots of postings and lots of things for sale/trade.. now it seems so quiet... has everyone left for a different group?

It's also difficult to post pictures to this forum, so it limits the kind of content sharing that can be done. I find that there is a lot of great 90's arcade info and community activity at the neo geo forums.

Despite lacking photo capabilities this is a great forum for local Canadian stuff. While it may not be as busy as other sites, it's a site just for us Canucks!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

brad808
toonie
toonie

Re: RE: Re: What happened to this site?

Postby brad808 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am

c0nn0r wrote:

It's also difficult to post pictures to this forum, so it limits the kind of content sharing that can be done. I find that there is a lot of great 90's arcade info and community activity at the neo geo forums.

Despite lacking photo capabilities this is a great forum for local Canadian stuff. While it may not be as busy as other sites, it's a site just for us Canucks!

Lol Neo Geo "community activity". The place is a well known cesspool.

demonseed
loonie
loonie

Postby demonseed » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey,
So what groups are everyone trading on? I remember the old days here and brothers would help each other out.. Now seems everyone is on Kijiji or ebay selling stuff at way over priced!! Sad

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 pm

demonseed wrote:Hey,
So what groups are everyone trading on? I remember the old days here and brothers would help each other out.. Now seems everyone is on Kijiji or ebay selling stuff at way over priced!! Sad

This one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/653156894847539/
But don't expect a lot of great deals on there....your best shot at that is still by posting here and having someone reply.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm

brad808 wrote:
c0nn0r wrote:

Lol Neo Geo "community activity". The place is a well known cesspool.

I see a lot of cool stuff happening there. Like the rest of the internet/world there is crap to wade through. The good news is that nobody is forced to go there.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

c0nn0r wrote:The good news is that nobody is forced to go there.

Just masochists, eh? :lol:

demonseed
loonie
loonie

Postby demonseed » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Where have all the console collectors gone too?

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 am

jasonec wrote:
demonseed wrote:Hey,

This one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/653156894847539/
But don't expect a lot of great deals on there....your best shot at that is still by posting here and having someone reply.

I scored my SEGA New Astro City on this forum, but my first contact with the seller was on Kijiji. I grabbed a "Robocop" PCB from Midge, and had a bit of a chat about the rest of his gear in a subway station. He mentioned that he had a New Astro City, and I let him know that if he ever sold it, to call me first.

About a year later I posted about making my own crappy arcade stand for my CRT monitor which got some deserved ridicule, but did spark a bit of a conversation. Midge noticed it, and let me know that it was time for him to sell. I bought the cab a few months later, and the rest is history.

Rarer arcade items do not pop-up for sale very often, and when they do a seller may feel more comfortable selling to someone they know (even if it's just online). Posting here, letting folks know what you are into, waiting patiently, and helping others fix/find/play will get you the inside scoop on the best stuff.

Just my Ƀ0.0000000000002

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Its a sign of the times. There are more collectors, resellers and high prices then ever. With only so many retro games to go around itsecoming harder and harder to buy a local game lot. Pick through it and trade or sell the left overs.

Sparky
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Sparky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Ya I miss the good old days around here where people would trade and buy casually, now with all those damn millennials :P it’s all about instant collections and buy it up fast at any cost it seems. Took me years to get the games I wanted but I guess I am just getting old and tired of this new scene. (( rocks in rocking chair ))

I am still around but slowed way down on my quest for gaming glory. I am usually on the pceginefx forum or I hate to say it you can find me on Facebook, a couple groups I am on there is turbotown and turbo reproductions, still love my turbografx and still have it all :)

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”