how to clean monitor

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Weasel
toonie
toonie

how to clean monitor

Postby Weasel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 am

I have a monitor that was kept outside in a barn and has mouse crap all in it. Ive heard you guys say you wash your monitors with a power washer. Any to do and not to do instructions ??
Basement is FULL

eccs19
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: how to clean monitor

Postby eccs19 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 am

Weasel wrote:I have a monitor that was kept outside in a barn and has mouse crap all in it. Ive heard you guys say you wash your monitors with a power washer. Any to do and not to do instructions ??

Don't have it plugged in when washing it. :lol:

I just cleaned the chasis on one of my monitors, and I actually cleaned it in the dishwasher. Did a GREAT job. Kinda hard to put the tube in the dishwasher though. I think the pressure washer should work for that.
Working - Mr. Do! - Neo Geo 4 Slot - Mame Bartop.
Project - Pacman

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 am

I'm gonna assume the "cup" must be in place, or the hole for the anode at least taped over? (just asking the details for the guy, just in case)
;)

Grauwulf
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Grauwulf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 am

I would advise against a power washer, garden hose pressure is more than enough. And no, you don't have to tape over the anode hole, just make sure it has the water blown out of it so that you don't get any corrosion in it.
This was probably nothing more than a +1 post.

Currently Owning:

Vids- Joust
Pins- Back to the Future, Theatre of Magic, Space Shuttle, Revenge From Mars, The Shadow, Grand Tour, High Speed

Lewinskys
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Lewinskys » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:08 am

Personally, I would remove the electronics and wash them with a hose, or diskwasher. I would not WASH the tube or yoke. Only use a cloth and clean the tube. and a dry paint brush to brush off the tight areas around the yoke. The yoke will hold too much water for too long. And the "Aquadag" (I think that is what the grey painty stuff on the tube is called) I have seen it come off with water.
Working:Robtron,GALAGA, DigDug, BagMan, MsPacMan, Space Invaders. Stern DRACULA Pinball, King Kool Pinball, Sega TURBO Cockpit, Pengo, Baby Pac-Man Pin/vid, Mini Galaga,BarTop,LeathalEnforcer
:Bubbles, Stargate, Frogger

wysiwyg
stubby
stubby

Postby wysiwyg » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:26 pm

I usually remove the chassis and run it thru the dishwasher with about 1/4 the normal amount of soap. Works great.

Also, I've washed tubes with the entire yoke assemble still attached with my pressure-washer to make them look like new. I tried a garden hose too but that never really took off all the scum, especially smoke build-up. I only do this sort of wash job on the hottest summer days and I leave the tube sitting in the sun all day to dry. After washing, I use my compressed air gun to blow out as much water as I can, then let it sit in the sun for a day or longer. Usually, about a week later I get around to putting the monitor back together and they have always worked great, no problems. I've done this with at least 6 or 7 units and never had a problem. The key point here is "be sure it is completely dry" before you power it up. Even a tiny amount of moisture in the wrong place can cause damage to occur when you power it up.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Weasel wrote:I have a monitor that was kept outside in a barn and has mouse crap all in it. Ive heard you guys say you wash your monitors with a power washer. Any to do and not to do instructions ??

NEVER wash any CRT with warm water or it'll shrink!

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

lastlight
timbit
timbit

Postby lastlight » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

i've washed 3 complete CRTs in my bathtub now. Soak everything with simple green and just use the gentle rinse from the shower head. Then I blast it with a bunch of portable fans i have from various angles for a day straight. There's no water hiding anywhere after that. I don't think there's anything inside the anode cup to corrode is there? at any rate the fans evaporate it all.
ArcadeArts - Classic Arcade and Pinball Artwork
http://arcadearts.net

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am

lastlight wrote:i've washed 3 complete CRTs in my bathtub now. Soak everything with simple green and just use the gentle rinse from the shower head. Then I blast it with a bunch of portable fans i have from various angles for a day straight. There's no water hiding anywhere after that. I don't think there's anything inside the anode cup to corrode is there? at any rate the fans evaporate it all.

No idea.....but I'm too chicken to try that :shock:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Ah, I still remember when I dropped my monitor chassis off for malice to give a cleaning / capping.

I asked him how he cleans them and he said "I just throw them in the dishwasher". I just about shit my pants. Who woulda thunk that throwing electronics in the dishwasher was ok? Not me certainly.

Guess it makes sense as long as you don't apply power when it is still wet but I never would've guessed.

ChanceKJ
loonie
loonie

Postby ChanceKJ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm

The anode hole goes nowhere. Its just a divot for the cup to latch on to. Feel free to fill it with water... I’ve done about 40 CRTs now all with this method. Use zero pressure when rinsing or you risk losing stickers and dag.

ImageImage

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 pm

ChanceKJ wrote:The anode hole goes nowhere. Its just a divot for the cup to latch on to. Feel free to fill it with water... I’ve done about 40 CRTs now all with this method. Use zero pressure when rinsing or you risk losing stickers and dag.

Great video, thanks!

Rickn
loonie
loonie

Postby Rickn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 pm

So seems like there is lots of "advice" out there and some pretty good!
So I am some what new at this LOL only 38 years of manufacturing monitors. As well as TV's....
Ok
- Yes I would not recommend a power washer. Keep in mind many of these boards might be older than you are and getting brittle. Not to mention the solder joints.
- Dishwasher not a great avenue unless it is dsignated for this only... "Lead poisining"
- Definitely do not use liquids around the Aquadag coating of the tube. this is the area on both the left and right sides of the back of the tube. It is Graphite and meant for a return ground path of the the voltage to the tube. Use a dry cloth.
- No do not fill the anode connector with water, dry cloth. Around all this is a must! After years of service there is likely a lot of carbon dust.
- Back to the baord set, I have tried the dishwasher avenue, does work well but again only if it is dedicated to baord claening.
- I use a hand held steam cleaner.
In any case make sure the board has had ample dry time.

I usually do the steam clean wash with most boards I repair after confriming the fault. Now you can see the components as far as value and damage such as burn, swollen caps ...

Now that the board is clean, you can then better evaluate whether caps need to be changed, foils need to be resolderd etc.

That is a topic I try to touch on in my training seminars on monitor repair. But this applies to all boards.
Rick Nieman
President
Nieman Video Displays
Kitchener, Ontario
519-621-1722
Rick@niemandisplays.com

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”