Interesting thread about CGCC on Pinball Revolution.....

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

michaelsonline
timbit
timbit

Postby michaelsonline » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 am

OTTOgd thats not the point. If another completely different site is setup without importing the old content and userbase, a majority of the users will not bother. Look at what RayB said above you.

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 am

The point is, whoever (if anyone) is involved with CGCC now are technically incapable and/or motivated by something other than the love of gaming.

Start a fresh new forum and coordinate with the few lingering members before CGCC corrupts further, or the plug is pulled (as referenced in the 1st post), and forum communication is simply dead.

What if the site goes down in, say, two hours? Then what?

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:01 pm

RayB wrote: I mostly am active here in coin-op, but there's overlap with the other game collectors. Here's what I like about CGCC:

4. It's Canadian

3. It's mostly local to Ontario

2. It has both retro game collecting and coin-op

#1. It has very few sub-forums!!

Hey - I totally agree with your points!
I'm always on CGCC, and although I'm on MAACA, few people post arcade stuff (frequently).

In my opinion, a good game forum should:
a) Be focused on console, arcade and pinball gamers (don't forget the console guys...)

b) Be easy to read (no shitty colour schemes like on PBRev or MAACA) - phpBB has kept faithful to the "easy to read and communicate" Web mantra.

c) Be NOT linked to profit or the owner's/moderator's personal interests whatsoever. It should be done out of respect for the community alone, and not done to push someone's agenda or products. It should never ask for $$ and only be run/moderated by those with high moral standards.

I'll be honest here - I think CGCC is perfect, and I strongly think that it should remain CGCC and nothing but CGCC.
No offense to Brock, but if CGCC were merged with PBrev, I wouldn't even create an account on it.....I'd just join KLOV instead.

I think the best outcome is that Ken gets the CGCC.ca domain pointed to a different phpBB host - keep the same forums and look.
If you can get the user database over, then fine - all the better.
But if you can't, just start CGCC anew and archive the old content (I've saved the old content using grab-site so it can be uploaded to archive.org for posterity).

My two cents......
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

machine.slave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machine.slave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm

RayB wrote:
@Brock again: I saw your custom pinball shooter rod featured in a Stern newsletter. Congrats!

Ray

Thanks, man!
“Why do people in ship mutinies always ask for "better treatment"? I'd ask for a pinball machine, because with all that rocking back and forth you'd probably be able to get a lot of free games.” - Jack Handy

machine.slave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machine.slave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:06 pm

jasonec wrote:Hypothetically speaking.....if a site that was very similar to CGCC suddenly appeared this weekend.....what would a good name for it be?

Arcade Revolution? :D
“Why do people in ship mutinies always ask for "better treatment"? I'd ask for a pinball machine, because with all that rocking back and forth you'd probably be able to get a lot of free games.” - Jack Handy

machine.slave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machine.slave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 pm

jasonec wrote:c) Be NOT linked to profit or the owner's/moderator's personal interests whatsoever. It should be done out of respect for the community alone, and not done to push someone's agenda or products. It should never ask for $$ and only be run/moderated by those with high moral standards.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I started PBRev in the first place. You'll notice there are no ads on PBRev.. ;)

No offense to Brock, but if CGCC were merged with PBrev, I wouldn't even create an account on it.....I'd just join KLOV instead.

No offense taken, but may I ask why? I'm always open to some creative criticism

machine.slave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machine.slave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 pm

OTTOgd wrote:The point is, whoever (if anyone) is involved with CGCC now are technically incapable and/or motivated by something other than the love of gaming.

Wow, that sure makes the mods and admins feel great :roll:

Start a fresh new forum and coordinate with the few lingering members before CGCC corrupts further, or the plug is pulled (as referenced in the 1st post), and forum communication is simply dead.

What if the site goes down in, say, two hours? Then what?

As already mentioned in a previous post, this simply will not happen.

Point is, Ken, myself, and all other mods and long time members have too much invested in this site to simply let it die. Hence the post on PBRev that started this whole conversation in the first place, which was clearly taken out of context.

No one is pulling the plug any time soon, there's no need to rush into anything. I'm sure Jason, myself, Ken and anyone else who wants to join the effort can figure out a solution that keeps the spirit of this site alive.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:17 pm

machine.slave wrote:
jasonec wrote:Hypothetically speaking.....if a site that was very similar to CGCC suddenly appeared this weekend.....what would a good name for it be?

Arcade Revolution? :D

Nope ;-)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

machine.slave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machine.slave » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18 pm

jasonec wrote:Nope ;-)

PM sent, Jason

stayjacked1
stubby
stubby

Postby stayjacked1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Viva La CGCC !!
D2K,DKJR,DK3,VS.DR.MARIO,TETRIS,BURGERTIME,MAD PLANETS,MULTI TAITO,MS PAC UPRIGHT,MS PAC COCKTAIL,VBALL,MULTI NAOMI UPRIGHT,NAOMI UPRIGHT VT1

b1buwg97
Secret Order of the Black Pac

Postby b1buwg97 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

RayB wrote:I agree with those last statements, especially ColecoDude.

Consider, here we are just the coin-op folk making this decision? That means the rest of CGCC would live on on the broken site, meaning two sites to visit? Bah. I already don't visit MAACA for that reason. I mostly am active here in coin-op, but there's overlap with the other game collectors. Here's what I like about CGCC:

4. It's Canadian

#1. It has very few sub-forums!! This is the main reason for me to pop in here. I arrive. I see there's new posts in a couple sub forums. I check them out. I leave.

I do NOT like the massive amount of sub-forums on MAACA, and this is the format that PBRev has chosen to clone. It's too much to dig through. Maybe those sites are very active and thus need more sub-forums, but again, I like the simplicity of CGCC over that. *shrug*

(btw, can't this site just be upgraded if the main complaint is PHP errors??)

And a question: Is this why so many of the old-timers like Cooke disappeared from here? Are you over on PBRev instead?

I agree 100% with Ray, I really don't bother with the other sites any more

b1buwg97

Postby b1buwg97 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

jasonec wrote:
RayB wrote: I mostly am active here in coin-op, but there's overlap with the other game collectors. Here's what I like about CGCC:

4. It's Canadian

#1. It has very few sub-forums!!

Hey - I totally agree with your points!
I'm always on CGCC, and although I'm on MAACA, few people post arcade stuff (frequently).

In my opinion, a good game forum should:
a) Be focused on console, arcade and pinball gamers (don't forget the console guys...)

b) Be easy to read (no shitty colour schemes like on PBRev or MAACA) - phpBB has kept faithful to the "easy to read and communicate" Web mantra.

c) Be NOT linked to profit or the owner's/moderator's personal interests whatsoever. It should be done out of respect for the community alone, and not done to push someone's agenda or products. It should never ask for $$ and only be run/moderated by those with high moral standards.

I'll be honest here - I think CGCC is perfect, and I strongly think that it should remain CGCC and nothing but CGCC.

I think the best outcome is that Ken gets the CGCC.ca domain pointed to a different phpBB host - keep the same forums and look.
If you can get the user database over, then fine - all the better.
But if you can't, just start CGCC anew and archive the old content (I've saved the old content using grab-site so it can be uploaded to archive.org for posterity).

My two cents......

Really agree here too...

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:50 pm

don't take this place away! I just found it!!!!

nagamitsu
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nagamitsu » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm on here and KLOV, that's basically it. Have not logged into Arcade Controls in ages.

Tim

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:10 pm

stayjacked1 wrote:Viva La CGCC !!

Thumbs up!

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”