Anyone have a Raspberry Pi powered cabinet/bartop ?

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

mortron
timbit
timbit

Re: Anyone have a Raspberry Pi powered cabinet/bartop ?

Postby mortron » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 am

I am going to try the VGA666 board (Pi2J uses same drivers) to get CGA res out of my Pi and use an encoder... The Pi2Jamma is a little tricky to set up still from what I've read, and I don't have a dedicated JAMMA setup.

As for the images available online... There are some cool ones. I find some people will just modify an existing one and call it their own. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. I began from scratch. Trying to learn the intricacies of the programs involved. Throwing 13,000 ROMs onto a card and every piece of art and turning on all he options sounds like wasted resources.

The image I am working on now is just for console games. Plenty of doubles and bootlegs. My goal is to have systems where most of the games work properly... Too many people flog stuff that doesn't work 100%... That's where the work comes in. Cleaning things up and customizing it. Also, running all the attract mode and such bears down on the system, takes up space etc. Having things neat and tidy and the games working is most important IMO. I figured learning myself would make troubleshooting easier... All it's taught me is that I really want to make my own image :lol:

There are Vertical only packages that have just come about and such, so maybe as time goes on I will find an image that speaks to me.

I think it's super flexible as a unit, can go with you or be permanently installed. If you want to use it for something else down road, you got the option. I was going to buy a Pandora's Box4 but after seeing reviews etc, I realized the Pi would prove more flexible and if a game didn't play well, I could find a different ROM or switch emulators.

I've had good success rotating my 27" CRT and playing loads of vertical games. Dig Dug is one of my faves. Resolution, orientation and aspect are infinitely adjustable it seems. Anyone with an older cab wanting to retrofit need not worry, the Pi is mega flexible and will work in your cab.

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Nice to see some competition brewing with this idea. HighScoreSaves has a good rep for their kits so I would expect their offering is not junk. The price point's a still little high for me, but those should come down in time. Really tempting to try though as opposed to an ArcadeSD. I don't mind 60 in 1's and other multi boards except for the UI's, definitely more flexible with the PI in that respect, and of course game choice.

CoitusMysterioso

Postby CoitusMysterioso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:59 pm

High pricepoint??

You can pickup a RPi 3 for $45CDN. The great thing with the Pi setups is you can switch out the SD cards and totally change their functionality with a new image.

http://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-3-model-b.html

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:25 pm

CoitusMysterioso wrote:High pricepoint??

You can pickup a RPi 3 for $45CDN. The great thing with the Pi setups is you can switch out the SD cards and totally change their functionality with a new image.

http://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-3-model-b.html

I've got a Pi2 and Pi3 and a BananaPi that runs Android, they're fun, flexible little devices. The Pi's are cheap enough,and they've even come down since I bought mine, its the Pi to Jamma boards I'm referring to. The HighScoreSaves board converts to 185.38 CAD plus shipping, then you still need to buy a Pi.

They'll come down I'm sure, then the more expensive multiboards like Pandora's and GameElfs will be less compelling. A $40 "60 in 1" is still hard to beat if it has the games you want to play. :)

CoitusMysterioso

Postby CoitusMysterioso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Ahh yes those are stupid expensive!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

At that total price, they are getting into ArcadeSD territory. The ArcadeSD is an amazing board, but if you add up the components on the board, add in the ACTEL FPGA programming and fabrication at low quantities, it still comes in well under $30/board to make. Yet they sell it for $350.
Probably a similar markup on the Pi JAMMA stuff right now.
And I'm too cheap to pay that sort of markup. If I wanted to pay a large profit margin, I'd visit an Apple store :P
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Vid of Arpicade (HighScoreSaves Pi to Jamma) in a Time Pilot Cab

Few other vids for this board out there too.

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm

jasonec wrote:At that total price, they are getting into ArcadeSD territory. The ArcadeSD is an amazing board, but if you add up the components on the board, add in the ACTEL FPGA programming and fabrication at low quantities, it still comes in well under $30/board to make. Yet they sell it for $350.
Probably a similar markup on the Pi JAMMA stuff right now.
And I'm too cheap to pay that sort of markup. If I wanted to pay a large profit margin, I'd visit an Apple store :P

You'd know about this stuff... But I gotta say, my Apple has lasted way longer than the PC laptop I got before it. At the time I thought I was saving $$$ buying a PC with same specs as the best Apple on market at time... It lasted like 18months. Got a MacBook in 2011 and it's still going strong and battery holds charge unlike my PC after 18mos. Can probably still sell it the Mac too.

It's just when I wanna do gaming, run a .exe, or not get teased for buying a Mac... Then I regret buying a Mac :lol:

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Hmm doesn't OS X run a BSD kernel? I thought UNIX GURU's loved BSD? :wink:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 pm

scoltx wrote:Hmm doesn't OS X run a BSD kernel? I thought UNIX GURU's loved BSD? :wink:

Actually, OS X runs a kernel called XNU, which is basically one third MACHv3 microkernel, one third FreeBSD kernel (mostly the networking and file stream parts), and one third NeXTSTEP IOkit (which glues the other two components together). And since Leopard (10.5), OS X has been certified as a UNIX OS.

I'm actually a very avid user of OS X, but what I do with that OS is stuff that 99.9% of anyone who uses OS X can't do.
Being in IT, however, means that I have no brand loyalty - so I have no problem making fun of Apple for selling overpriced vanity products to mactards that worship Steve Jobs ;-)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 am

jasonec wrote:
scoltx wrote:Hmm doesn't OS X run a BSD kernel? I thought UNIX GURU's loved BSD? :wink:

Actually, OS X runs a kernel called XNU, which is basically one third MACHv3 microkernel, one third FreeBSD kernel (mostly the networking and file stream parts), and one third NeXTSTEP IOkit (which glues the other two components together). And since Leopard (10.5), OS X has been certified as a UNIX OS.

I'm actually a very avid user of OS X, but what I do with that OS is stuff that 99.9% of anyone who uses OS X can't do.
Being in IT, however, means that I have no brand loyalty - so I have no problem making fun of Apple for selling overpriced vanity products to mactards that worship Steve Jobs ;-)

I worship no man. My loyalties lie with me. I got an Android phone... :lol:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 am

mortron wrote:
jasonec wrote:

I worship no man. My loyalties lie with me. I got an Android phone... :lol:

+1 :D
I actually saw a group of people a few months ago sitting around a coffee table in Starbucks talking about how the latest Apple book was a works of art :lol: (this one: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/15/1363 ... cts-images)

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 pm

jasonec wrote:
I actually saw a group of people a few months ago sitting around a coffee table in Starbucks talking about how the latest Apple book was a works of art :lol: (this one: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/15/1363 ... cts-images)

Dieter Rams was the artist... All that shit is just tracings.

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:09 am

Bumping this up as just minutes ago I learned about Arcade Punks.

I've got 2 Raspberry Pi 3. One of which I plan on running in my bartop from Gameroom Designs Canada.
(Rick is the best........check him out if you haven't http://gameroomdesigns.ca/)
The other I'd like to toss in one of them Sega Genesis USB hubs (demo available on YouTube).

Now learning about Arcade Punks they seem to have some cool stuff. I'd like to get a cool 32GB set up.
I've seen some awesome stuff online with some really cool Pi set up's. Some really nice, clean, well laid out skins.
Some tho are too much............ too much going on. Not clean, not polished.

I like the Carbon theme, don't know if anyone is familiar with it.

I was wondering if someone could suggest, recommended a cool set up for a 32GB SD card ?
Secondly, perhaps a stupid question. If I download a 32GB image with all games, etc. If I don't like the theme I should still be able to change it correct ? I wouldn't be married to that skin would I ?
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I've been all over the map with my bartop and unable to lock down a plan for the internals.
Going back in forth between jamma, MAME, Pi, etc.
For what it's worth I decided on Raspberry Pi 3, I'm just waiting for a new Zero Delay Encoder (with US connections) to wrap up that project.
I did however get back to my other Pi project.

I picked up the official Sega Genesis USB hub from Nerd Block in Pickering Town Center for $7.50 !
https://www.nerdblock.com/

I downloaded a pre-made Pi image containing everything I need from Arcade Punk.
http://www.arcadepunks.com/

Sweet little 32GB image that I was able to get. They had very few images available via Torrent, but I managed to get two different images.
One 32GB and one 64GB. I had to navigate a menu in Portuguese.... but luckily was able to change it into English.
Really sweet set up on the Pi. The GUI/Skin is quite polished and has all the game info and box art.
I'm really happy with it.

I picked up some USB versions of the NES, SNES and Genesis gamepads to use with the Pi.
I wish I could find USB versions of the other consoles for an authentic feel when using the emulators.
They only thing I did not enjoy was MAME with the SNES controller.
I'd like to pick up a couple of the 8bitdo controllers, but I'm waiting to see if I can catch them on sale.
I plan on trying my PS3 Mortal Kombat stick on the Pi, I read since it's a USB connection it should work.
I'd like to use some of my spare parts and extra Zero Delay Encoder to build an arcade stick for the Pi, be it 1 or 2 player. (I'm unsure)
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”