Candy cab group buy

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Re: Candy cab group buy

Postby c0nn0r » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm

While we're all dreaming and wishing here, I might as well add that I'd be looking for a SEGA Aero Table as well if there are any.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 am

Must be a generational thing. I still think these are the ugliest cabs out there.

I trashed a double 10 yrs ago. Think I paid $50 for it from a starburst auction. When they were live.

Shoe
timbit
timbit

Postby Shoe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 am

Considering how much demand there clearly is for these, some entrepreneurial soul should bring over a container of Candies and just flip 'em on Kijiji. Just putting that out there. ;)

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 am

ancientgames wrote:Must be a generational thing. I still think these are the ugliest cabs out there.

I trashed a double 10 yrs ago. Think I paid $50 for it from a starburst auction. When they were live.

RIP VS CITY

:censored: :lol:
Sega Astro City 2.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:30 am

ancientgames wrote:Must be a generational thing. I still think these are the ugliest cabs out there.

Probably true. Candies never came to Canada until the late 90's and early 2k's (at SEGA City). Candies are explicitly not dedicated cabs, so you won't see any nice side art. What you do get is a gorgeous 29" 15/24/31khz monitor, high quality sticks and buttons, rock-solid metal and fiberglass construction. Sit down is great for longer play sessions, and couple this with the large screen, and the cab becomes great for spectators as well. The replaceable metal control panel setup is nice because in just a few minutes you can change out dedicated controls for a new game.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

amplibax
timbit
timbit

Postby amplibax » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 am

I think this group buy was just a pipe dream, but it's nice to see so many people enthusiastic about Candy Cabs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm

c0nn0r wrote:

Probably true. Candies never came to Canada until the late 90's and early 2k's (at SEGA City). Candies are explicitly not dedicated cabs, so you won't see any nice side art. What you do get is a gorgeous 29" 15/24/31khz monitor, high quality sticks and buttons, rock-solid metal and fiberglass construction. Sit down is great for longer play sessions, and couple this with the large screen, and the cab becomes great for spectators as well. The replaceable metal control panel setup is nice because in just a few minutes you can change out dedicated controls for a new game.

here here
Sega Astro City 2.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm

I'll agree with Mike - I've always thought candy cabs were ugly too.
But they are damn fun to play, and incredibly functional (which is why I'd get one if the opportunity arose) :D
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:34 am

Candy Cabs are more than just a plywood box - not to take away from classic cabs. When I see a Candy Cab, I see lots more work going into designing and building it. This is one reason I feel like they tend to be accepted with less art than a traditional cab - the beauty is in the design. And as some have pointed out, they tend to have some nice components inside as well.

Plus... I am lazy and like to sit lots :lol:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am

mortron wrote:Plus... I am lazy and like to sit lots :lol:

Don't forget that candy cabs are also the only cabs that midgets can play without having a stool 8)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:57 am

jasonec wrote:
mortron wrote:Plus... I am lazy and like to sit lots :lol:

Don't forget that candy cabs are also the only cabs that midgets can play without having a stool 8)

Actually, there is merit to this. I have a nephew that just turned 5 and is (happily) getting more and more interested in video games. The height of my Astro City is perfect for him (and his 2 year old sister) to play at. I'll be damned if he thinks his iPad is a real way to game. Whenever he comes over to my house the fist thing he asks is if we can play the Astro City. Warms my heart!

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

amplibax wrote:I think this group buy was just a pipe dream, but it's nice to see so many people enthusiastic about Candy Cabs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These candy can group buys are almost always 100% a pipe dream. I've only ever seen a "successful" candy cab group buy over at neo-geo.com... and by successful I means folks got their candies, but practically all of them had issues - which is to be expected on 25 year old cabs.

For those in the future who are interestede in organizing, or participating in a group-buy, I can highly recommend giving this thread over a neo-geo.com a good read

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?205137-Neo-Geo-com-Arcade-Cabinet-Group-Buy-Guide-and-FAQ

It's not an easy thing to do, buy hey, pimpin' aint easy!

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:59 am

c0nn0r wrote:While we're all dreaming and wishing here, I might as well add that I'd be looking for a SEGA Aero Table as well if there are any.

Rklok has one for sale (Ronnie Vd Kolk on facebook, or http://www.rklok.nl/

he gets amazing cabs, not cheap and shipping from Netherlands is a factor.... but he has the cabs.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 pm

scogon wrote:
c0nn0r wrote:While we're all dreaming and wishing here, I might as well add that I'd be looking for a SEGA Aero Table as well if there are any.

Rklok has one for sale (Ronnie Vd Kolk on facebook, or http://www.rklok.nl/

he gets amazing cabs, not cheap and shipping from Netherlands is a factor.... but he has the cabs.

Dang! He does have one! 1995.00 Euros. Sadly I need to buy a house before I can get another cabinet. I friended and subscribed ;-)

mwong168
timbit
timbit

Postby mwong168 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:29 pm

It's not a candy cab but I am pretty stoked that my Vewlix clone (aka "Chewlix") arrived today at my work :mrgreen:

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”