Starting collecting

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Holden

Starting collecting

Postby Holden » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm

First of all I’m super glad to stumble upon these awesome boards, most of all your posts you’ve all made are fantastic,
Being an early 80s kid I lived it up in arcades in the 80/90s popping quarters and loonies all day.

Finally got some room in my house and having an electrical background figured now was a good time to start collecting/rebuilding for the winter project.

I managed to secure a Neo single slot cab with old wiring and a point blank cab gutted to maybe rebuild or just modify with a pandora or raspberry etc.

I’ve learned the hard way and already dumped some money rebuilding my chasis on the hanraryx m900 monitor, the system was playing blind when I first turned it on and now that the monitor is about to begin working the boards led light has stopped lighting up, I tested my power supply and it seems like the 12v connection no longer is providing any voltage, so I’ll swap that out tnrw and see if it resolves that problem.

Anyways cool to be able to see some of the amazing work some of you have already done, maybe one day I’ll have a couple neat pieces, in also on the look out for any decent buys that maybe don’t require complete gut jobs that aren’t going to run me 2000$ or any sort of trades.

I live just north of Toronto, seems like a lot of you are close by which is cool, thanks for all the good info again my friends.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Starting collecting

Postby jasonec » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Cool - welcome to the forum!
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Welcome. It's a great place to hangout.

GeorgeGlass
timbit
timbit

Postby GeorgeGlass » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Welcome! The Ontario collectors also post a lot of stuff on Facebook at

https://m.facebook.com/groups/653156894847539

You might find that a valuable resource as well! You'll find tons of cheap games through the connections here.

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

CGCC ... ROCKS!

:yeahyeahyeah:

menace
stubby
stubby

Postby menace » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:21 am

Even the memes say its the best addiction you can have ...

Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

Holden

Postby Holden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

Awesome thanks for the advice and help!

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

The biggest key is to avoid the temptation to just buy anything and everything you see that pops up.

Wait for your games, get the ones you want. They will eventually come up. You just have to be patient.
I want more games...

Holden

Postby Holden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm

So my system was starting blind the music would go on etc the buttons worked but the monitor was blank, rebuilt the chasis flyback and some caps, now the system won’t boot up at all since overnight super bizarre.

I picked up a new power supply popped it in and the led light on the Janna board lit up for a second then off and the new power supply won’t output any dc voltage anymore. I’m assuming it fried but I 100% sure I put the right leads in the correct spots, when I reapplied the old power supply it outputs both -+5v but no 12v, and when I measure the Janna board I receive 4.9v dc. A real head scratcher ha

trueno92
stubby
stubby

Postby trueno92 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 pm

theyangman wrote:The biggest key is to avoid the temptation to just buy anything and everything you see that pops up.

Spoken like a true addict, right here. :mrgreen:

Actually, you will find it a blessing to have
1. Accepting wife
2. Space.
3. Time
4. Money.

But yep, good score with those. What was the issue with the neo Geo monitor?
Neo-Geo Big Red - 520in1 - 21" CRT
HS-5 -NBA JAM TE/MVS4 - 25" CRT
RadMobile - Upright Multi-Racer/Fighter - 19" LCD
2x PS2, 2x 27" CRT, TimeCrisis II/III iLink Co-Op Shooter
22"/16" Virtual Pinball
Trick Time Slot Pachislo

Holden

Postby Holden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Flyback and a few caps. Now just power problems which should be an easy fix unless there’s a short somewhere .

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 pm

trueno92 wrote:
theyangman wrote:The biggest key is to avoid the temptation to just buy anything and everything you see that pops up.

1. Accepting wife
2. Space.
3. Time
4. Money.

I'll add some comic relief that everything is thinking :lol:
1. Accepting wife - Do they even exist? Probably not. This is why married people lie to their spouse.....or just turn gay.
2. Space - It's not technically hoarding if your stuff is cool.
3. Time - Who hasn't faked illness to get time to work on a machine in this hobby?!?
4. Money - Mac & Cheese. Just sayin'.....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

trueno92 wrote:

1. Accepting wife
2. Space.
3. Time
4. Money.

I have worked hard not to buy every cabinet that crosses my path in recent months. I had a nice spree this past summer but 75% of it I have kept so far.

I am getting a severe itch to fill my garage to the brim again however.....
I want more games...

Holden

Postby Holden » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Lol... I’ve almost picked up 3-6 cabs in the past month I’m glad I didn’t though, they’d be dust collectors I need to concentrate on one or two at a time. It’s weird how fast the addiction kicks in to buy buy buy :) I still have to figure out how to get them in my basement :o

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Holden wrote:Lol... I’ve almost picked up 3-6 cabs in the past month I’m glad I didn’t though, they’d be dust collectors I need to concentrate on one or two at a time. It’s weird how fast the addiction kicks in to buy buy buy :) I still have to figure out how to get them in my basement :o

Lots of lessons to be learned in this hobby and you will get a Few bumps and bruises along the way financially and picking which games to fix or restore.

Different ways to look at it such as do you want to just have a working game or are you into restoring things and you want to do the same for vids. Some look at how much the game is worth and the amount of parts required to restore.
I have resorted some games that cost more than what it's worth but it was the experience and end goal of having a game in a certain condition that was my deciding factor.

Also these games are so old that it may be a constant repair battle on a particular monitor or board set.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun doing it.
Pins: Popeye, JD, DM, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, RS.. just need IJ
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”