News story of the week: Game not over

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

The Evener
loonie
loonie

News story of the week: Game not over

Postby The Evener » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Discussion of a potential RSS feed on the main page serving up arcade and gaming-related articles prompted me to do this manually by picking out a "news story of the week" to post here. True, the story is over a week old, but it brings together two of my favourite interests - Japan and video games:

Game not over: Japan's amusement arcades tap community spirit to stay relevant - Japan Times, August 17, 2019

The piece examines the changing nature of Japanese arcades and features Mikado, a great arcade hang-out in Tokyo. During my first trip to Japan two years ago, Mikado was on the top of my Japanese arcade list and it didn't disappoint - it has a great, old-school arcade vibe, so I just soaked up the atmosphere and had a great time watching players battle head-to-head as well as trying out some classic games as well.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: News story of the week: Game not over

Postby jasonec » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Great article! Makes me want a candy cab....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Re: News story of the week: Game not over

Postby The Evener » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Me too! I wasn't that interested in a candy cab when I first jumped into collecting games, but I agree it would be an awesome addition to the arcade, all the more for reminding me of the Tokyo visit. A few popped up on here recently, but I"m kind of a cheap skate - I think I'll try to squirrel away some money over the next year so if one comes up I can serious consider it. I"d have to let one of my games go, though, or at least move it to the unfinished part of the basement (storage). Lack of space has been a put a big brake on acquiring new games, but all the same I'm not complaining - I was able to nab some great cabs and the goal all along was to "fill out" the room. It's a small room, mind you, but I guess that was ultimately easier on the wallet anyway.

I also think a CGCC member also posted a couple of years ago their experience importing three or four units directly from China - or was that a different forum? REally interesting to follow, maybe if the timing is right and someone organizes another container I might be able to help with a purchase. 8)

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”