Interesting thread about CGCC on Pinball Revolution.....

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Where's Monkeybutt?

b1buwg97
Secret Order of the Black Pac
Secret Order of the Black Pac

Postby b1buwg97 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm

All I have to say is I BETTER be an Admin!

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 pm

jasonec wrote:
machine.slave wrote:Ken and I have been in contact, he has everything he needs to move the site to a different server (as far as I know).

Awesome!

So with access to the MySQL database used by the phpBB forum software, it would be incredibly easy to throw a new version of phpBB on a different host and seamlessly migrate all of the existing posts and users over.

Ken - I'm just putting the offer out there - I have an unlimited fat pipe and replicated cloud host if you want me to host CGCC indefinitely ;-)

I'm all for easy and seamless migration that preserves all the content, history, and CGCC brand.

And I don't have to be an admin -- there's other people in front of me. :wink:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Colecodude wrote:
jasonec wrote:
machine.slave wrote:Ken and I have been in contact, he has everything he needs to move the site to a different server (as far as I know).

Awesome!

So with access to the MySQL database used by the phpBB forum software, it would be incredibly easy to throw a new version of phpBB on a different host and seamlessly migrate all of the existing posts and users over.

Ken - I'm just putting the offer out there - I have an unlimited fat pipe and replicated cloud host if you want me to host CGCC indefinitely ;-)

I'm all for easy and seamless migration that preserves all the content, history, and CGCC brand.

And I don't have to be an admin -- there's other people in front of me. :wink:

Ditto here!
Let's just make this happen already.....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

menace
stubby
stubby

Postby menace » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:26 am

just post the new forum address and move! If the old content can be saved then so be it but it seems like everyone is stuck in analysis paralysis.

Let me be the first to say:

All hail the new overlord JasonEC, long may he reign

Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

michaelsonline
timbit
timbit

Postby michaelsonline » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:14 am

Whats the big rush?. Might as well wait to import over the old forums users and data or upgrade this install.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:01 am

menace wrote:just post the new forum address and move! If the old content can be saved then so be it but it seems like everyone is stuck in analysis paralysis.

Let me be the first to say:

All hail the new overlord JasonEC, long may he reign

They said that picture would never hit the Internet!!! :oops:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:25 pm

The only way a move could properly work is if this one were closed and redirected to the new one. I've seen forums before that tried to move its users to new sites and it just didn't work due to people being people and sticking to the familiar.

I do like the design of PBrev though. Do what you can to get all our old posts over there and if you can migrate user accounts, that's even better.

@Brock: I clicked on the members link over there and it only game me a list of 20. Sorry about the miscount.

@Brock again: I saw your custom pinball shooter rod featured in a Stern newsletter. Congrats!

Ray

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Hypothetically speaking.....if a site that was very similar to CGCC suddenly appeared this weekend.....what would a good name for it be?

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:06 pm

jasonec wrote:Hypothetically speaking.....if a site that was very similar to CGCC suddenly appeared this weekend.....what would a good name for it be?

CGCC2

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:23 pm

Although the question was a hypothetical, I would urge us to follow the example of Mike Holmes - Make It Right (R).

Let's line up all the pieces and make sure they're in place. No harm in testing a site with a limited group of people, but it once everything is ready, it should simply be a matter of "flipping the switch," and cgcc.ca continues to point us to the one and only (new and improved?) site.

Maybe I'm more sentimental, but I think that having a full and extensive migration is ideal. It would be great to preserve (most of?) the content that CGCC built up over the last 12 years. That said, I know maaca.org turned their old site into a read-only archive (http://archive.maaca.org), so there's more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.

monkeybug
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby monkeybug » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:36 pm

This site needs to be put out of its misery. Its like a condemned house with the owners long gone. Look at the errors on the front page for the past few years!

I think Pinball Revolution would be a great spot since Brock hosts both sites anyways. It could be a sub forum there.

michaelsonline
timbit
timbit

Postby michaelsonline » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:37 pm

I think rushing into it without importing all the content would be a huge mistake. Many people will not even bother.

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 am

I agree with those last statements, especially ColecoDude.

Consider, here we are just the coin-op folk making this decision? That means the rest of CGCC would live on on the broken site, meaning two sites to visit? Bah. I already don't visit MAACA for that reason. I mostly am active here in coin-op, but there's overlap with the non-coinop game collectors. Here's what I like about CGCC:

4. It's Canadian

3. It's mostly local to Ontario

2. It has both retro game collecting and coin-op

#1. It has very few sub-forums!! This is the main reason for me to pop in here. I arrive. I see there's new posts in a couple sub forums. I check them out. I leave.

I do NOT like the massive amount of sub-forums on MAACA, and this is the format that PBRev has chosen to clone. It's too much to dig through. Maybe those sites are very active and thus need more sub-forums, but again, I like the simplicity of CGCC over that. *shrug*

(btw, can't this site just be upgraded if the main complaint is PHP errors??)

And a question: Is this why so many of the old-timers like Cooke disappeared from here? Are you over on PBRev instead?
Last edited by RayB on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 am

I don't really recognize the separate sub-forums on MAACA and KLOV since I just go straight to 'Active Topics/New' and glaze over ALL the new threads. Pinside's format is awesome, imho, where the main forum page is ALL active topics but you can easily remove sub-forums.

I find CGCC more cumbersome since I am forced to enter the separate sub-forums, like 'Coin-op' and 'Anything Goes', rarely visiting 'Donut shop' or 'swap shop', which is a shame.

Sure, it would be unfortunate to lose CGCC's history but who doing anything about it??? I'd really only miss the 'Hey!' thread.

Jasonec is clearly passionate about the hobby and technically capable, not depending on others for support. I have no doubt he would accommodate all those who are also passionate about gaming culture ... even the consolers!?! :shock: :D I mean, where the heck is Sydric???

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”