Your Crappiest Arcade Purchase

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

TrueJedi
timbit
timbit

Your Crappiest Arcade Purchase

Postby TrueJedi » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 am

What's your worst purchase that's caused you endless frustration or even regret for making such a purchase?
Vids: Area 51, Double Dragon, 60in1 Cocktail, Popeye replica on pi3, Mario Bros mini cab
Pins: Last Action Hero, Spares & Strikes
Looking for: Double Dragon 1 & 2 PCB in good working order (non-bootleg)

underachiever
stubby
stubby

Re: Your Crappiest Arcade Purchase

Postby underachiever » Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 am

I'm glad you have the word arcade in the title or I would have had to say "wedding ring". :lol:
Pins - HS (under restoration), DL,Firepower, STARGATE, ST 25th, EFTLW, EBD, WW, F-14, JD,WH20
Slot - 3 Reel
Vids -Rush the Rock x 2
Proud founding member of TCPL (Tri-City Pinball League)

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

Some crappy cocktail cabinet filled with old dog food, necked tube and bootleg pac board (working board at least). I pulled the board and tossed the rest to the trash. I think I paid $100 for it. That was a terrible decision and I have no idea why I did it. Actually I do, the guy wanted to drop it off at a parking lot and I felt bad he hauled it all the way there. With today's prices it doesn't seem so bad but at the time you could still buy fully working cabs from the Starburst auctions for $50-100. I've bought a ton of dumb shit over the years but that's the one that still makes me smack my head. At least it was a cheap lesson and taught me to walk away from garbage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Tue May 30, 2017 11:58 am

brad808 wrote:Some crappy cocktail cabinet filled with old dog food, necked tube and bootleg pac board (working board at least). I pulled the board and tossed the rest to the trash. I think I paid $100 for it. That was a terrible decision and I have no idea why I did it. Actually I do, the guy wanted to drop it off at a parking lot and I felt bad he hauled it all the way there. With today's prices it doesn't seem so bad but at the time you could still buy fully working cabs from the Starburst auctions for $50-100. I've bought a ton of dumb shit over the years but that's the one that still makes me smack my head. At least it was a cheap lesson and taught me to walk away from garbage.

Was it this cocktail going into the red car?

scroll down halfway at http://cgcc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28048&p=244978&hilit=pacman+starburst#p244978
Pins: Popeye, JD, DM, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, RS.. just need IJ
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

brad808
toonie
toonie

Re: RE: Re: Your Crappiest Arcade Purchase

Postby brad808 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

aerostarz wrote:
brad808 wrote:Some crappy cocktail cabinet filled with old dog food, necked tube and bootleg pac board (working board at least). I pulled the board and tossed the rest to the trash. I think I paid $100 for it. That was a terrible decision and I have no idea why I did it. Actually I do, the guy wanted to drop it off at a parking lot and I felt bad he hauled it all the way there. With today's prices it doesn't seem so bad but at the time you could still buy fully working cabs from the Starburst auctions for $50-100. I've bought a ton of dumb shit over the years but that's the one that still makes me smack my head. At least it was a cheap lesson and taught me to walk away from garbage.

scroll down halfway at http://cgcc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28048&p=244978&hilit=pacman+starburst#p244978

No this wasn't from an auction it was just a private sale. I did load it into the trunk of a Cavalier though. Still no idea what game it originally was. Actually now that I look at the pictures I still use that specific iso on my bench so I guess it wasn't a total bust haha.

Just for price comparison a couple of weeks before that I also bought this mk2 for $100 (that was better deal than most though), along with a lot of other games under $200. Either way I still knew better than to buy crap cocktail which is why that's my regret. ImageImagehttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/592db6adec00f/Screenshot_20170530-141425.png?

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:22 pm

:'( better days :-PImage

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue May 30, 2017 1:59 pm

brad808 wrote::'( better days :-PImage

that would be my best purchase ever.... god finding one of those is proving to be about as easy as getting Bella and Gigi Hadid together for a threesome with me....
I want more games...

CoitusMysterioso

Postby CoitusMysterioso » Tue May 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd take the threesome over that cab! LOL :)

theyangman wrote:
brad808 wrote::'( better days :-PImage

that would be my best purchase ever.... god finding one of those is proving to be about as easy as getting Bella and Gigi Hadid together for a threesome with me....

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 pm

One of the crappiest purchases ever for me was a '53 Gottlieb Guys Dolls. Never mind that the cab was painted over with black paint, the game with the "Six High Powered Pop-up Posts" instead of flippers SUCKED big time, imho!

(Photo not my old game because of annoying anti-pic-upload here on CGCC; quote: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Postby AllanSim » Tue May 30, 2017 3:32 pm

You said dog*food*, right?

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:38 pm

AllanSim wrote:You said dog*food*, right?

Yes they were using the control panel boxes to feed dogs evidently. Beats me man.

Arcademarauder
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Arcademarauder » Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Pissed in arcade machines
Moldy cabinets
Water damaged cabinets
Smashed scratched chipped
Cabinets that had remnants of previous inhabitant like nests
I bought some that i just had to be demolish and dispose of

That's The way she goes fam , there are people you can expect quality and there are people that just want take all your money and run like a greesy used car salesman dishing out lemons to gullible folks :censored:

TrueJedi
timbit
timbit

Postby TrueJedi » Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 pm

My 1st purchase has been a big lesson. I always wanted a Double Dragon. I paid too much for what I later found was a Williams Joust cab converted into a DD. It stank of cigarette smoke, so bad my wife Febreezed it to death when it was brought into the basement. I soon found out it had a 1980's home made jamma wiring set up. So much so that the Jamma harness would not fit on any boards as the harness was a mm or 2 too short. CPO had had several overlays on it at various points and no one bothered to lift the joystick screws to remove the excess overlay. So that ripped at your hands. Then 3 months in my G07 went. I had someone do a cap kit, but still could not get the picture right. Sent it into a guy in Toronto and greatly improved the picture adjusting the b+. Still short a bit on width, but I don't want to mess with the width coil since I finally got a decent quality picture now. More recently my DD board (which I found out to be a bootleg) must have a chip going as the colours are off on this board only. All my other Jamma boards look fine. I noticed recently my power supply was not giving acceptable ranges, so had to replace that too. There is still lots of cosmetic work to do on the cabinet itself as it's painted 1980's black right over what's left of the Joust side art. As well as the base needing some cosmetic rebuilding. I really picked a gem as my first, but it's forced me to investigate and learn a lot about the functionality of a machine.
Vids: Area 51, Double Dragon, 60in1 Cocktail, Popeye replica on pi3, Mario Bros mini cab
Pins: Last Action Hero, Spares & Strikes
Looking for: Double Dragon 1 & 2 PCB in good working order (non-bootleg)

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm

brad808 wrote:
aerostarz wrote:

No this wasn't from an auction it was just a private sale. I did load it into the trunk of a Cavalier though. Still no idea what game it originally was. Actually now that I look at the pictures I still use that specific iso on my bench so I guess it wasn't a total bust haha.

Just for price comparison a couple of weeks before that I also bought this mk2 for $100 (that was better deal than most though), along with a lot of other games under $200. Either way I still knew better than to buy crap cocktail which is why that's my regret. ImageImagehttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/592db6adec00f/Screenshot_20170530-141425.png?

Sexy! :lol:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Arcademarauder wrote:Pissed in arcade machines
Moldy cabinets
Water damaged cabinets
Smashed scratched chipped
Cabinets that had remnants of previous inhabitant like nests
I bought some that i just had to be demolish and dispose of

That's The way she goes fam , there are people you can expect quality and there are people that just want take all your money and run like a greesy used car salesman dishing out lemons to gullible folks :censored:

Wait...isn't this the norm when buying cabs? It's not an authentic cab without the smell of rat piss.....:lol:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”