Bells and Whistles, Odds and Ends When Building A Cabinet

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Bells and Whistles, Odds and Ends When Building A Cabinet

Postby mike boss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 am

For those who do custom builds I was wondering what are some of the tricks you use. Some of the "lil extras" perhaps that you add to seperate your machines from the masses on Kijiji.

Or just overall must have items you can't ignore when doing a build!

For myself I like to build PC based cabinets, using MaLa as a front end is a must for myself. I always customize the layout to match the theme of the cabinet and have found MaLa super easy to work with.

Game snaps and videos are readily available and really punch up the look. All be it not as flashy and polished as Hyperspin it is also less taxing on the PC.

I also like to download and install the : Arcade Ambience Project
http://arcade.hofle.com/

It's a couple of audio files that emulate the sounds heard in a busy arcade in the 80's and 90's. The audio plays in connection with MaLa when in attract mode.

I gotta say I'm LCD monitor all the way, $15-20 used on Kijiji for a 19" 4x3 ratio monitor. To give an old school look I like the MINI-SLG.
I've used a couple different scanline generators, but for the price the MINI-SLG is about the best.
http://craftymech.com/mini-slg/

eBay has soooo many LED lighting options. From the RGB LED strips that you can use anywhere on your cabinet, to USB multi LED lights that you can use to light up your reject buttons. I use a 13 LED USB light to illuminate the coin reject buttons.

Like I did with my Bad Dudes I like using cold cathode tubes that plug right into your power supplys 12V. I saw this on Kijiji where someone had used them on a cocktail cabinet and it looked really cool.
I used one 12" cold cathode on my Bad Dudes and it just gives a cool effect.

Lastly a smart strip powerbar. This is a must when going the PC route. I usually wire an arcade button the PC power button, then wire that button to the outside of the cabinet. Plug the PC into the master on a smart strip then everything else into slave. PC goes on as does the marquee light ($12 Home Depot), monitor, and speakers.... PC goes off, everything else follows.
[/i]

EDIT - I like these speakers, I mount the volume control to the inside of the coin door with double sided tape. For $20 I think the sound good, better than most stock arcade cabinet speakers !

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-Onta ... 55052476/0

EDIT - This is the light I always use. About $12/13 @ Home Depot and always available.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/f15t8-p ... hes/980574

EDIT - This is the smart strip I use. Used to be $40, I guess they are $20 all the time now. Works well

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/roc ... 666515en02
Last edited by mike boss on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Final Fight w/6-in-1
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 3
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
Custom DK Jr 48 in 1 Bartop
23" Touchscreen Juke
Foosball Table

menace
stubby
stubby

Postby menace » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 am

Good list--I typically keep it simple--especially if the plan is to sell it--the more bells and whistles, the more stuff that the guy will break and call me about...

I agree about hyperspin as well--it's pretty but eats up gobs of resources meaning you need a higher end PC in there to run it. The beauty of mame is the generally low pc requirements to run 95% of the games.

The must have things are new controls (i use a 6 button layout to appeal to the masses), new control panel and new header (generic).

Sideart is nice but most people don't seem to care other than asking "is it new?" I love that one--Yeah buddy i got in my hot tub time machine, went back to 1987 and got you a new machine....

My other favourite question i get is "what is the warranty?" same as sear's buddy..oh wait they don't sell these at sear's...
Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

The good ol' Street Fighter II 6 buttons per side layout I think is ideal also!
Lets you play soooo many more games and just makes sense, even if the person wants to add console emulation later, the six buttons per side work well.

I've started to wire up (on my Nintendo cabinets) 3 buttons under the control panel, one for POWER - one CREDIT - and one for ENTER/SELECT.
I space them out so the left side is the power and the credit is the far right, so hope that someone doesnt shut it down mid game.

I remember selling my bartop @ $350 (I think it was) and the guy came cash in hand and was on the fence. He had seen a $1200 bartop and mine didnt quite measure up! So I pointed out the big $$$ difference...he left without my bartop. So I contact the next guy in line and he asks me, "Why didn't he take it?" So I told him (I'm too honest)... so the guy decides he will still drive down. I did a few lil mods, white t-molding, another coat of paint on the control panel, etc. The guy shows up, was super happy the guy passed, took the unti, put about $75 or so into it, added sideart a bezel and really dressed it up. He loved it !
I guess Kijiji is just full of characters.
Even selling my 60-in-1 units, I think they look good, most people in the hobby who see the machines tell me they look good. But then people come and wonder why it isn't priced @ $800/900...........something must be wrong !

Try to explain that I'd be willing to bet most people use the same parts from china, zippy sticks, etc.... but it's lost on em !
Final Fight w/6-in-1
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Foosball Table

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm a big fan of building a MAME box within a real arcade pedestal with a dual joystick/button layout (all HAPP) and trackball and spinner in the middle.

The PC is housed inside, and the whole thing can be easily moved around and can connect to any large TV mounted on a wall, or even take up a whole wall if you use a ceiling-mounted projector ;-)

For the PC, a MaLa frontend on a new-but-lowend PC with a small SSD instead of a HD (no moving parts).
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:44 pm

I like the idea of the SSD.

Ways back I was also told to use "marine paint" to paint cabinets.
I've never tried, but I remember the cabinets the guy was selling looked really good. They were really hi-gloss and a durable finish (as per the seller).
Final Fight w/6-in-1
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Foosball Table

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”