What is the best Sega Genesis/Master System?

Buy, Sell, Trade

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

LoganN64
timbit
timbit

What is the best Sega Genesis/Master System?

Postby LoganN64 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Hello all, I have an odd question, but recently i picked up a NES Mini and SNES mini, and its quite fun, in fact combined they have more games on them than i did growing up, so its a welcome treat to play games i missed out on.

My question to you now, is; what is the best Sega Genesis "Mini" equivalent? i have seen the "AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback Classic Game Console" at Walmart and Best Buy and for some reason 'Bed Bath And Beyond'. However a lot of Youtube reviewers say the controllers are bad, the built in games are so-so at best and the Cartridge Slot Emulation is terrible.

Is there any other reproduction of the Genesis that gets it 100% right? i want to get some of the physical Genesis games and at least try to relive my childhood or find out what i missed out on. and if it has a few built-in games that would be the cherry on top!

EDIT: Some other games i want to play are: X-MEN (hopefully a system that allows that legendary 'RESET' feature), X-MEN clone Wars, Kid Chameleon, Vector Man, Golden Axe (1-3), Comic Zone, Streets of Rage (1-3)... and some others i cant recall right now.

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: What is the best Sega Genesis/Master System?

Postby Gameguy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 am

I'm kind of wondering why you and so many people now want to play vintage games but only on non-original hardware. What's wrong with using an actual Sega Genesis to play Sega Genesis games? Do people just want a challenge now to get games to play right, using a real console is too easy?
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

maxlords
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby maxlords » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Actually, most of the Genesis options suck. The best way to play Genesis on one of the new systems is to mod an SNES Mini or NES mini with Hakchi and add Genesis support. Works like a charm, very smooth.
"This isn't a bar fight. Have some class." - Alucard
- Castlevania (Netflix)

LoganN64
timbit
timbit

Postby LoganN64 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Gameguy wrote:I'm kind of wondering why you and so many people now want to play vintage games but only on non-original hardware. What's wrong with using an actual Sega Genesis to play Sega Genesis games? Do people just want a challenge now to get games to play right, using a real console is too easy?

The reason I want a Non-Original console is so I can play the Sega games i missed out on when I was a kid. And with the release of the Mini S/NES Classics, it seemed like Sega would have popped one out too... which it seems WOULD be the AtGames system, however it runs poorly. Also it would be nice to get a handful of games that they had on the system like the S/NES Mini has too... but it seems I'll have to wait for one unless there is a system that is a hardware clone that would do the job too. I recall seeing a Japanese clone Master System that had 50-100 games (most were shovel wear/cellphone games) but there were classics like Sonic and Mortal Combat. Realistically though having a system that could play the X-MEN game properly would be neat! The issue that most people face when playing the X_MEN game on an emulator is the 2nd last level requires you to hit the reset button to get to the final level, Emulators and other hardware have not been able to do it.

Additionally if I buy a used one, who knows what condition it is in. they owner could say "Cleaned, Tested and Working" but you never know.

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Gameguy wrote:I'm kind of wondering why you and so many people now want to play vintage games but only on non-original hardware. What's wrong with using an actual Sega Genesis to play Sega Genesis games? Do people just want a challenge now to get games to play right, using a real console is too easy?

For the easy connection to modern TVs I would imagine...

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:50 pm

RayB wrote:

For the easy connection to modern TVs I would imagine...

I know this is old, but I found a sega genesis and was able to hook it up to a 2016 model 4k\3D tv with no issues.
I sold the genesis though as I use my retron 5 for old games, and didnt care to have the system just sitting around.

Return to “The Swap Shop”