Vewlix clone to Vancouver (costs & procedures)

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

mallowpie

Vewlix clone to Vancouver (costs & procedures)

Postby mallowpie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 am

Hi all, firstly I would like to apologize beforehand if I'm asking any questions which may have been answered previously, or just straight up dumb questions. I'm completely green when it comes to the arcade cab scene, but I've been doing research the last couple days, and I am trying to see if I'm brave/stupid enough to try and order a vewlix clone from China.

I shopped around 3-4 different sellers on Alibaba, and truth be told even though everyone's unit price & shipping were different, at the end of the day they all sort of came out to roughly the same ballpark. I 'think' I'm going to go with this seller: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pandora-arcade-tekken-6-arcade-game_60688266897.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.725f3e5foGk5iF, because I've had the most communication with them, and realistically they've been the most upfront and transparent with pricing so far. I don't know about build quality and things like that...I read some of these guys are great, and others are garbage (does anyone have experience, or could recommend me a better seller?)

I've read through some of the other forum posts on members outlining their adventures getting their Vewlix from China. However, it seems like everyone is in Ontario (no BC love?). I don't know the procedures after the seller ships the cabs off. It appears there are fees for customs, brokerage agents, transport fees on the docks, storage fees, etc. Sounds like self-clear is the way to go (no customs broker?)

Here is the cost 'breakdown' so far that I figured I would need to pony up. I asked for a quote on two cabs (so I can maybe sell one, and save on shipping):

- Cost of each cab (bare minimum): $515 for Pandora's Box5S, $610 for a Raspberri Pi Retropi (wtf?)
- Cost of shipping (for two): $290
- Cost of packing fees: $40 each
- Cost of add-ons, which I intend to get:
- Sanwa parts (joysticks, buttons, etc): $45 each
- 1080p Samsung Monitor (LTF320HA09), instead of 720p LG monitors: $30 each

This equals to approx. $1550 USD, so approx. $2000 CAD. I assume (not sure if too high or too low) that the fees, charges, taxes, etc. will be approx. $600 CAD, so that makes it $2600 CAD shipped for pickup in Vancouver BC. I truck it home, sell the other one, and that makes it $1300? However, reading what other people have paid in Ontario for their Vewlixes I seem to be WAYYY off on my numbers. Freight fees can't be that damn expensive across the country can it? That's what makes me apprehensive because I feel like I'm not doing the math right on this.

Can someone explain to me if I've missed anything in between? Is my goal realistic? I get that there'll probably be logistical nightmares regardless, but I was really hoping someone in these forums has gone through a similar process that can let me know ahead of time what I'm in for.

I was of course also quoted for multiple cabs, but currently I'm not willing to pony up the cash upfront on such a foreign endeavour..

I told myself from the start that my ceiling to get a Vewlix (especially with a baby on the way), would be $1500 tops. Once I get the Vewlix, I'd also need to get the Brooks fighting boards, plus maybe SOME of the other crazy stuff you folks have put into your Vewlixes. I have essentially zero woodworking and zero electrical skills. I am also not a FGC enthusiast (although I do enjoy watching it on twitch), so I'm not too worried about the smaller details (although maybe this is the path down the rabbit hole).

Thanks for reading y'all.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Re: Vewlix clone to Vancouver (costs & procedures)

Postby c0nn0r » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am

Looks like you have done a lot of good research. Glad to see you covering your backside with some knowledge. That said, and having never ordered a viewlix from China, I would personally feel safer ordering a viewlix from a North American based company that has a verifiable track-record of delivering quality products. There are some resellers in California that offer systems like this, as well as the Dutch guy RKLOK. They may be a bit more expensive, but you are buying some trust as well.

eg. many viewlix systems sold these days are knock-offs (often called chewlix). Keep an eye out, and keep us posted!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

I looked at some of the other forums, and I even considered driving down to LA area to look at some of those cabs (I'm going to Anaheim in November anyway), but my worries are unfortunately the ballooning costs of getting them stateside. If someone is selling a unit for $1800USD, that's north of $2300CAD. Plus the mob/costs to go down, or the cost of freight up. Then there are taxes, etc...which just makes it way out of my budget :(.

I also noticed in the Ontario Kijiji that there's a seller for Vewlix (albeit 1p cabs) named Jugo? I read that others have inquired from him before, but I emailed him and haven't heard back (yet).

I'm not 100% dead-set on one option, but unfortunately, the most economical/feasible way for me to get one seems to be from China. I'm not a purist, so I am ok with mediocre quality, but not bad enough that it'd fall apart on me obviously...

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm

So I've decided that I'm going to wait until the end of the month, and then make a purchase for the Vewlix clone. I threw an ad out on Craigslist to see if there are anyone else local who'd want to commit with me, but for now I've decided that I would pick up two...one for myself, and then one to sell down the road.

Luckily there's a wealth of info on this forum from others who have imported cabs from either Japan or China, so I have an idea of what I'm in for.

Question for previous Vewlix importers: Have you guys asked the supplier to modify the control panel so they would be able to play either console/PC games? I assume the best/straightforward way would be the Brook's fight boards, but just wondering if anyone has asked some modification directly from the manufacturers. I asked this from the supplier and the rep thought I asked if they could provide the PS4 along with the cabinet. :lol:

XeD
timbit
timbit

Postby XeD » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm interested on how this turn out. I myself am planning on doing a BC container buy some time in the future.

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi all,

an update to the group buy (and more importantly questions!)

- I have somehow managed to find 4 other people interested in the Chewlix. I haven't taken any deposits, but I've been trying my best to keep everyone informed on how the procedure goes.

- From the beginning, I told everyone that I wasn't planning to make any money from doing this group buy (not even a single bit). I'd show everyone every purchase I make, fees, etc, and be as transparent as possible. I think it's only fair, since they're if they do go through, they'd only have my words to go by, as I haven't made a group buy for these cabs before. I'd like to think this endeavor as a learning experience. Plus, if there's some unfortunate hidden cost that balloons out, I'm not held to my word on a fixed price.

- Hopefully I can start the ordering process soon, and I'm hoping that if I can collect everyone's deposits, I can go ahead with the order early November...

- I am adamant on using Alibaba's trade assurance program (or any other Escrow payments). This is because it's not just my money. If I just went direct transfer (Western Union), then I felt like it made me look sketch to the other folks. Especially since I think anything with the word Western Union is a huge red flag.

A couple questions I'd like to ask those who's done the import before:

- Alibaba's escrow is 2% for the seller. The supplier said that they wouldn't take the cut, so they only offered trade assurance if we paid for the 2% fee. Personally I'm willing to pay for that for peace of mind. Does anyone else have any experience when dealing with an escrow? Does anyone have any BETTER options when dealing with sellers like these from China to protect your money?

- The seller also said that in order to avoid custom issues, that they would remove the word 'Taito' from the Vewlix clones, and they would ship the Pandora's Boxes separately. Have you guys heard of any issues like this before? I told the rep that they can ship it together...but I've never heard of something like this before. I read the sticky about Customs clearance...is this an issue with shipping replicas, rather than the actual cost of the units? Does anyone else with a Chewlix have the word Taito on their unit?

Thanks

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:33 pm

mallowpie wrote:
- The seller also said that in order to avoid custom issues, that they would remove the word 'Taito' from the Vewlix clones, and they would ship the Pandora's Boxes separately. Have you guys heard of any issues like this before? I told the rep that they can ship it together...but I've never heard of something like this before. I read the sticky about Customs clearance...is this an issue with shipping replicas, rather than the actual cost of the units? Does anyone else with a Chewlix have the word Taito on their unit?

From importing in past my self, if they actually inspect the items, they are only looking for things that you can't bring into Canada like drugs, guns, fruits and vegetables, or meat. A pandora's box isn't on their radar. The customs person that you talk to is only interested in what it's classified as, and what you will be using it for. So if it has Taito written on the description or a pandora's box in it won't cause too much trouble.

About the escrow, I would go for it, as you are working with other peoples money, but I thought that it didn't cost that much, since they make money from the interest of your money in their trust account.
MVS-25-4 v2 [Super Dodgeball, Puzzle Bobble, Shock Troopers, Baseball 2020] , New Net City (Capcom Vs. SNK) & Astro City (Shadow Dancer)
Passively looking for a Crazy Taxi upright.

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought about the Taito / Pandora's box issue as well. I figured maybe they're trying to save me the potential issue about customs claiming it's a fake or something, but it's not like I'm importing fake LV handbags :|.

It says on Alibaba's website that they charge 2% to the sellers for customized products <$5000, so I don't doubt the fee. Just curious if there was any other alternatives other people may have used. It doesn't sound like others from the group buys I've read people went through escrow, since it sounded like they fronted everything up front, and then flipped them afterwards.

yaton6262

Postby yaton6262 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 am

Hi
every one
i am James( yaton6262).i live Surrey .b.c Now
before 1 years .i has be Import arcade original japan cabs to Vancouver from China. i has be experienced about Import.
about 1-2 cabs Import to Canada. Please look viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31219#p272046
now. i just say the a container all cost and procedure.
for example 20 ft container.( FULL 20 CABS)
1) if your use private nominal import. you need a business number( this is very easy. call 1 877 526-1526. will free get. this number customs clearance must provide)
2) 20 ft container from china port to Vancouver port cost usually CAD 2500 -3000. 22-30 days on the way
to eastern port usually CAD 3500 -4000 . 35-40 day. ( ship company different price different)
3) container arrivals. the ship company will inform you. you must within 5 business days customs clearance.over days will pay CAD 60-70 each day's delay fee.
4) customs clearance. you need 3 documents from seller.( goods invoice, packing list,Bill of lading) and your ID w/business number.
you can self customs clearance free or a agent help ( CAD 200-300 equitable)
5) you need pay GST and PST ( GOODS PRICE + SHIP COST). The other fee from customs usuall CAD 500-700. also last you need pay container move fee. port to your local. ( i has be a 40 ft container from Vancouver to Surry 60km. paid CAD 600.00)
any about chian arcade question free ask me. i very happy to answer
Thanks

yaton6262

Postby yaton6262 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi. if you before purchas . please ask this factory. use LED or LCD. IF LCD 99% are renovation. Because LCD has been discontinued before 3 years
ALSO tell factory picture of a screen back. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... iIWkWM8sj5
to google find this number what time make.
Thanks

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Yaton,

Thanks for the heads up! I wish you joined this forum like 3 weeks earlier, because I already paid the deposit for 6 Vewlix clones...

Looks like the screens are indeed the LCD types (LTF320HA09)...but I guess it's too late now to make adjustments. Hopefully the screens aren't fully crap.

The company that I'm dealing with is this one here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pandora-arcade-tekken-6-arcade-game_60688266897.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.59853e5fKpsVMc. They're shipping the 6 arcades using LCL to Vancouver. They're building it now, and they'll send me photos of the finished products once they're done. I wish I had the means/powers to do a full container...but it was pulling teeth somehow just finding 5 other people to do the group buy with me!

What other recommendations would you make for buying from Arcades from China? I figured a lot from what Lordsxo had written out, but I didn't realize I needed a business number to self clear? I guess it makes sense since it'll be 6 units.

Also, I'm really glad that you're in Surrey :) . I think if I need parts to fit into my Chewlix I'll now know exactly who to ask!

yaton6262

Postby yaton6262 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi.
maid in china cabs the essential are LCD or LED.
WHY?
LCD AND LED CAN used same display driver board. but Different lcd models used different driver software. just 32' LG lcd . i remember over 60 different driver software.
so you must ask seller
1) 6 cabs must same lcd models and display driver board.
2) free or purchase 2 display driver board ( U$ 10-15) and cope same software in display driver board backup. ( because display driver software Very easy to lose.Most black Screen reason)
3) free or purchase A same LCD power supply backup
other parts will easy get i think.

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 pm

So I spoke with the customer service rep, and they told me that they also have LEDs available for the monitors. I've asked the person to replace the LCDs with LEDs...so that's good :). They told me that the LCDs have better colour saturation, but for the sake of longevity, I think an LED would work better.

Again, it's too bad I didn't know about you before I started this whole group buy endeavor. If you're doing a container run, I could have just bought a REAL Vewlix from you instead...

yaton6262

Postby yaton6262 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:24 am

HI.
Original used and expensive. arrivals your home maybe need CAD1500-1700
james

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Although this isn't related to any shipping logistics, I received some photos from the manufacturers yesterday :)

Like Yaton mentioned, I asked them to switch the LCDs to LEDs, and it looks like they put in the 7th button on the control panel (although it's not connected to the unit). Once they have it boxed up and ready to ship, I'm hoping I'll be getting that BOL letter soon.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”